When we finally arrived, we were greeted with unexpected sunshine. After we went through passport control, we found our luggage and soon after were met with our first official laughing fit. Aided by exhaustion and disorientation ("Dr. Melon, talking to yourself is not a sign of mental stability...") we attempted feebly to put on our backpacks while making change for the bus. The backpacks are not light; forty-three pounds to be exact. I'm not sure how that happened. I didn't think we were over-packing, however, we have since been able to redistribute/rid ourselves of some of the weight and that has been helpful. We have also mastered the cinching of straps to position the weight so as not to dislocate limbs with every movement. We finally got the bus to Dame Street, where we met Colleen, our Alaska/Dublin contact, at Starbucks and then boarded the 16a to Kennelworth and Rathgar Villas where Colleen lives with her four roommates; most of them studying at Trinity College Dublin. After getting settled, we took the bus back into town and managed to see the National Library, the National Museum (history and archeology segment), the National Gallery, Trinity Campus, and we also walked through Grafton Street, one of the main roads through Dublin. The National Gallery was most interesting with endless rooms of paintings, which were at points, somewhat overwhelming, but we managed to focus on a few works and exhibits of personal interest including the Yeats exhibit (W.B. Yeats' brother, John Yeats) and the Harry Clarke illustrations from the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales, as well as a painting, the name of which escapes me at the moment, depicting the marriage of Aoife, the daughter of the King of Leinster, to Strongbow of Normandy, after Strongbow's help in fighting the High King in 1150. It was quite interesting since I felt that in comparison with many of the other paintings that I was unfamiliar with, I actually had some background knowledge to refer to. The painting was huge, covering almost an entire wall, and the walls were not small. We'll be in Dublin two more days, approximately, and hope to make use of our bus passes, seeing as much of the city as possible.
Noted Places of Interest:
1) Bowler's Barber Shop
2) M.J. O'Neill's Cafe
3) St. Stephen's Green
Talking to yourself doesn't make you crazy. It is just when you start answering back that you are diagnosed as a nut. I guess I am off the deep end then.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed when you put on that back pack and said that it was light!(I thought,"this lady is super woman!")hehe.
ReplyDeleteOk, Melissa assiting in an Airline emergency... that is so cool!!!
mwah...
"M.J. O'Neill's Cafe"!!! Yay!
ReplyDeleteSo good to hear about you guys and your adventures! Well done, Melissa, on that plane! And I must say, I'm surprized that you made it all the way to Dublin before the first major laughing fit (if I were there I'd have seen to it long before).
Love and prayers!
Why does Megan get a cafe named after her??? That is ridiculous. Maybe there will be a KL Marriage Pub!
ReplyDeleteI guess Corrie might have been right about Megan's hostessing abilities.
Good job to Melissa!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have to tell you that I am sitting over here endlessly envious of the fact that you got to see the Yeats exhibit. My favorite author EVER! :)
Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your stories!